You are here
RSS list
2025
The Judiciary will launch a two-year pilot scheme involving live broadcasts of substantive appellate proceedings in the Court of Final Appeal (CFA) on April 1. The first two hearings under the scheme will be broadcast live on April 1 and 7. Members of the public may view the webcasts by visiting the CFA website on computers or mobile devices installed with common browsers. The Judiciary said the move will enhance the transparency of court procedures and strengthen public confidence in the judicial process. It plans to implement live broadcasting for all substantive appeal cases in the CFA, except for cases where protection of the interests of children or mentally disabled adults, privacy, trade secrets or commercial confidentiality is required. Proceedings related to national security, high-profile public order cases, and highly politically charged cases will also be exceptions. The Judiciary explained that these exceptions are intended to preserve judicial decorum, prevent excessive pressure on litigants and lawyers, and safeguard the fair and proper administration of justice. Where such exceptions apply, people may still attend the hearings in person, unless otherwise directed by the CFA. Members of the public, including the media, must not record live webcasts or use live broadcast footage for any purpose. After each live webcast ends, video of the court proceedings will be uploaded to and kept on the CFA website for one month. The Judiciary conducted four trial runs, featuring live broadcasts of court proceedings in four selected CFA cases, last year, in order to test the technical, logistical and operational arrangements. Under the pilot scheme, the live broadcasts will be conducted on the Judiciary’s in-house platform, replacing the outsourcing arrangements used in the four trial runs. The Judiciary said this approach will ensure the most cost-effective use of public resources. Upon completion of the pilot scheme, the Judiciary will review and consider long-term arrangements for live broadcasting of court proceedings.
Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung today officiated at the opening ceremony of the Hong Kong Air Cadet Corps (HKACC) new headquarters and training centre located at Shiu Fai Terrace in Wan Chai, marking a new chapter in the corps’ development. Speaking at the event, Mr Tang noted that the domestically developed C919 passenger aircraft began regular flights between Hong Kong and Shanghai in January this year, and that last month's Budget highlighted the support for the C919 to enter the international market. Meanwhile, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government is promoting Hong Kong as Asia’s first aircraft components handling and trading centre, indicating promising prospects for the future of the city’s aviation industry and an increasing demand for talent. The security chief said the new headquarters will provide a perfect place for members to explore their aviation dreams, and encouraged them to equip themselves to contribute to the aviation industry of Hong Kong and the nation. The new headquarters is equipped with flight simulators, virtual reality equipment and drill practice areas, giving members various learning and training opportunities to enhance their aviation knowledge, positive thinking, discipline and team spirit. It also features a national education exhibition, showcasing the country’s achievements and developments to strengthen young people’s national identity and sense of pride. During the ceremony, corps members performed a flag-raising ceremony and a Chinese-style drill demonstration, followed by a review conducted by Mr Tang. The guests enjoyed a performance by the HKACC band before touring the main facilities at the new headquarters. On April 1, 2024, the Government Flying Service incorporated the HKACC as a department-funded youth uniformed group, further enhancing support for the corps in order to promote youth development and train more talent for Hong Kong’s aviation industry.
The Security Bureau today said the last of six Hong Kong residents lured to Myanmar to engage in illegal work and rescued following Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung’s participation in the operation in Thailand, arrived in Hong Kong this morning. Mr Tang departed for Thailand earlier to participate in the co-ordination and rescue operation of Hong Kong detainees in Myanmar. The citizen concerned had stayed in Thailand yesterday to assist in the Thai Police investigation as a witness for the case of people being lured to Myanmar to engage in illegal work. A member of the bureau’s dedicated task force also stayed in Thailand to accompany and assist the rescued Hong Kong resident. They returned home in the small hours of today.
The Civil Aid Service (CAS) today expressed deep sorrow over the passing of a 57-year-old member who fell unconscious after completing a fitness assessment at the CAS headquarters in Yau Ma Tei last night and later died in hospital. The man joined the CAS in 1986 and was a Grade III member. The CAS extended its deepest condolences to his family and will provide appropriate assistance to them.
Deputy Secretary for Justice Cheung Kwok-kwan today said the Department of Justice is studying a Court of Final Appeal (CFA) judgment with a view to finding ways to further improve the enforcement mechanism of national security in Hong Kong. Mr Cheung made the remarks after attending a radio programme this morning, where he addressed media questions about the CFA judgment concerning a case involving three former members of a disbanded group who did not comply with Police’s request for information. “We are carefully studying the judgment handed down by the Court of Final Appeal. We will see how the judgment can further improve the law enforcement mechanism of national security in Hong Kong, but I will say that the judgment and the case law will contribute significantly to the development of jurisprudence of the national security related law in Hong Kong.”
The Security Bureau announced today that six Hong Kong residents lured to Myanmar to engage in illegal work have been rescued following a joint rescue operation. A dedicated task force, consisting of members from the bureau, the Police Force and the Immigration Department, had earlier travelled to the Mae Sot area of Thailand, near its border with Myanmar. Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung subsequently flew to Thailand yesterday to co-ordinate the operation alongside senior officials from Thailand's Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Justice, and police. The six Hong Kong residents, comprising three men and three women all aged between 29 and 44, had been detained in Myanmar for periods ranging from five to seven months. After being rescued, they were sent to Mae Sot by Myanmar's military. With the assistance of Thai authorities, the Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of Thailand, and the Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in Chiang Mai, the task force escorted the six from Mae Sot to Bangkok, which they reached this afternoon. Five of the residents will return to Hong Kong tonight, accompanied by the task force, while one is expected to return to Hong Kong tomorrow. Mr Tang had earlier held a video meeting with the citizens and was pleased to learn that they were safe and in good condition. They expressed gratitude to those who had helped in their rescue and said they looked forward to reuniting with their families in Hong Kong. Mr Tang thanked all units involved in the joint operation, including the Ministry of Public Security of the People’s Republic of China; frontline personnel at the Thai-Myanmar border; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, especially the Chinese Embassy in the Kingdom of Thailand and the Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China in Chiang Mai; Thailand's Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Defence, police and military; relevant authorities in Myanmar; the task force; and the Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office in Bangkok. Regarding three individuals who have yet to return to Hong Kong, the bureau stressed that it will actively follow up on their cases and strive to facilitate their return as soon as possible.
The total number of reported drug abusers in 2024 decreased by 9% from 2023 to 5,068, the Action Committee Against Narcotics announced today. The number of reported drug abusers aged under 21 rose by 8%, however, to 720. Of these abusers, 226 had vaped the “space oil drug”. The figures come from the Central Registry of Drug Abuse. The most common substances taken by drug abusers in 2024 were heroin, cocaine and “ice” (methamphetamine), while people under 21 mostly took cannabis, cocaine and the “space oil drug”. Since the first half of 2024, the “space oil drug” has been the third most common substance taken by drug abusers under 21. To step up the control of the drug, the Government has listed etomidate, its main ingredient, along with its three analogues, as dangerous drugs. The Security Bureau said the listing of etomidate as a dangerous drug has significantly enhanced deterrence against “space oil drug”-related crimes, and allowed law enforcement agencies to take more stringent enforcement actions against such crimes. The committee's Chairman, Donald Li, said he is glad that the Government adopted its suggestions to list etomidate as a dangerous drug. He suggested that the Government should step up anti-drug publicity on all fronts and said he hopes primary and secondary schools can take the initiative to inculcate in their students the values of resisting drugs. The Government's new campaign, “Don't fall into 'space oil drug' traps!”, has launched on various television and radio channels. An Anti-“Space Oil Drug” Week was held last week by the bureau's Narcotics Division and the Education Bureau. It was rolled out in all schools in Hong Kong, enabling students to understand the harms of the “space oil drug” and seriousness of crimes related to it.
The Government today clarified that information being circulated online about the launch of a "National Hong Kong Coin" on blockchain purported to be announced by the Chief Executive is fake and cautioned the public not to believe it. It pointed out that the information is totally fictitious with fraudulent intent and strongly condemned those who have attempted to distribute fake information in the name of the Chief Executive. The Government reminded members of the public to remain vigilant and verify the authenticity of such content. The incident has been referred to Police for a follow-up investigation.
Secretary for Security Tang Ping-keung today led members of the Security Bureau Youth Uniformed Group Leaders Forum on a Greater Bay Area study tour in Macau, in completion of a three-day, two-night exploration of national history, culture and development. Mr Tang led members in visiting the Macao Light Rapid Transit East Line South Section. They learned about the project's development and toured the campus of the Academy of Public Security Forces. The youngsters also visited the Macao Customs Fleet and were briefed on customs duties and maritime rescue operations. They also explored various sites of historic and architectural interest. Mr Tang listened to the participants' interim reports on their thematic projects. He said that the participation of students from Shenzhen University in the forum's last term and of youths from Macau in the current term has given young people in Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Macau the opportunity to collaborate closely. He praised the potential of members from the three places, highlighting that three members from Shenzhen University were recently awarded the Good Citizen Award by the Hong Kong Police Force for their bravery in saving a life in Hong Kong. He also mentioned that seven members from Hong Kong were awarded stars given to Chinese college students for self-improvement. The group of 72 - comprising the leaders forum and its partners from Shenzhen University and the youth groups of Macau's public security forces - began its study tour in Foshan on Friday and continued to Macau yesterday. During their stay in Foshan, the group visited the Shunde drone command and dispatch centre to learn about how the district has optimised urban management through the introduction of drones and the consolidation of collected data. They also visited an intelligent manufacturing technology park, an innovation and research and development centre, and a manufacturing enterprise to learn about the development of high-tech industries on the Mainland and how various industries apply technology to improve production processes. The young people also explored the Foshan Ancestral Temple to sample the local traditional culture.
The Advisory Committee on Sports Dispute Resolution of the Department of Justice, chaired by Deputy Secretary for Justice Cheung Kwok-kwan, met several Legislative Council members today to discuss the way forward for developing sports dispute resolution in Hong Kong. During the meeting, Mr Cheung provided an overview of the latest developments in sports dispute resolution in the city. Both sides exchanged views on the establishment of a pilot scheme on sports dispute resolution. Highlighting that Hong Kong enjoys the advantages under “one country, two systems”, Mr Cheung said the city possesses strong potential to develop into a regional or even an international centre for sports dispute resolution. He told the lawmakers that the advisory committee is carrying out in full swing preparatory work for a pilot scheme on sports dispute resolution, and expressed hope that the scheme would be launched in the second half of this year. This can address the practical needs in relation to local sports disputes, thereby creating new momentum and advantages for Hong Kong, Mr Cheung added. The advisory committee is currently actively engaging with major stakeholders, including representatives of the Sports Federation & Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China. As the next step, the Department of Justice will identify suitable organisations to administer the pilot scheme and provide relevant technological services as well as formulate a set of standard rules for sports dispute resolution.