You are here
Who we are
The Hong Kong Jockey Club Disaster Preparedness and Response Institute (HKJCDPRI) was set up in 2014 with the generous donation from The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust. Housed in and led by the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine, the HKJCDPRI aims to build a prepared community in Hong Kong to respond to disasters.
We aim at building disaster resilience of Hong Kong through people-centred, all-hazards and multi-sectoral disaster risk reduction strategies based on informed understanding of disaster risks and solutions by:
- Developing capacity building programmes in four categories: professional development, education programmes in schools, business and workplace, and individuals;
- Conducting research and innovative initiatives to support disaster management players in the community for building community resilience;
- Developing a knowledge resources platform containing a mix of resources with collaborative efforts of our network of professionals for creating a learning space for professionals dedicated to learning how to enhance disaster preparedness for metropolitan cities like Hong Kong.
What we do
Capacity Building Programmes
We build capacities of target groups in preparing for and responding to emergencies by raising disaster awareness, delivering the required knowledge and enhancing the required skills for coping with disasters. The capacity building objectives are achieved by three programmes:
- Professional Development Programme
- Public Engagement and Education Programme
- Disaster Education at School Programme
Research and Innovations
We identify knowledge gaps and conduct research that are relevant to enhancing disaster resilience and useful for policy-makers, disaster practitioners, people with emergency planning roles. The RI domains also promote innovative learning and solutions to enhance disaster resilience.
We create learning opportunities for disaster practitioners, corporate, people interested or with a role in emergency planning and the general public. The platform disseminates knowledge generated by the HKJCDPRI from its programmes and researches, as well as other disaster learning institutes. It provides audience and HKJCDPRI’s network of members with a resource to explore, exchange opinions and learn about disaster related issues.